3 C
Washington D.C.
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
HomePeoplePolice Reveal New Details About Targeted Shooting at Rhode Island Hockey Arena

Police Reveal New Details About Targeted Shooting at Rhode Island Hockey Arena

Police identified the suspect as Robert Dorgan, who entered the Dennis M. Lynch Arena. The arena is located in Pawtucket during a high school hockey game Monday evening. Authorities said he approached family members sitting in the bleachers without warning before firing. Investigators confirmed the suspect fatally shot his former spouse and their adult son. The suspect then turned the weapon on himself after bystanders attempted intervening immediately nearby.

Police Chief Tina Goncalves described the incident as highly deliberate and targeted. She explained the suspect moved toward victims individually before opening fire without confrontation. Authorities reported no evidence of verbal arguments or physical altercations before gunfire erupted. This targeted shooting appeared planned, based on movement patterns and weapon possession details collected.

Investigators confirmed three additional victims suffered serious gunshot wounds during the violent incident. These victims included relatives and close associates present supporting players during the hockey game. Emergency responders transported injured victims quickly to nearby hospitals for urgent medical treatment. Officials said all survivors remained hospitalized in critical condition following the attack recently.

Police also confirmed the suspect carried two legally purchased firearms during the attack. Authorities identified the weapons as a Glock pistol and a SIG Sauer handgun. Investigators stated the suspect legally obtained both firearms and held valid firearm authorization. Officials said law enforcement previously had no direct criminal investigation involving the suspect locally.

Authorities confirmed the suspect had attended previous games and appeared familiar with the arena. Therefore, his presence inside the facility did not initially raise concern among staff. Investigators said the suspect briefly left the building before returning and initiating gunfire. Police believe his deliberate actions indicated preparation and specific intent targeting certain individuals present.

Officials also confirmed investigators found no suicide note or extremist organizational connections currently. Detectives executed search warrants seeking digital evidence and personal records related motivations recently. Authorities continued interviewing witnesses and reviewing surveillance footage documenting the suspect’s movements carefully. Investigators emphasized determining motive remained central priority following the tragic targeted shooting incident.

Community members expressed grief and shock following violence at a youth sporting event. Officials urged residents supporting affected families and cooperating with ongoing investigative efforts fully. Authorities promised providing updates as investigators uncovered additional information regarding circumstances surrounding attack. The targeted shooting remains under investigation as officials seek answers and justice.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular